Sunday, February 22, 2009

I am worried, worried about my cousin Tami. She had a large mass removed from her colon, but the doctors don’t know yet whether or not it’s cancer. Let's pray it's not. I am also worried about my Aunt Sylvia and praying daily that her cancer is in remission. Our family (the Clawson's) seems to have a great deal of cancer. Do we have more than other families? Or, does it just seem that way because we have a large family? Or, is it just that I know more about my family?

Cancer is something I think about a least once a week, maybe more often. It is scary; I am terrified of IT! I’m always wondering whom it will strike next. We can do everything right—quit smoking, eat healthy, exercise and have all the right tests, and we still might get IT. Really, all we can do is live each day to the fullest-----love each other-----be there for each other-----pray for each other. That's what my dad did, and anyone who knew my dad knows how much he was loved and how much he loved and cared for others.

Aunt Alta is making a list of our family's cancer history. It has been suggested that we give this list to our doctors. If you would like a copy just let me know, and I will make sure you get one as soon as she sends it to me.

3 comments:

Ms. Woods said...

I think more people every day are worried about cancer. Technology and the internet have made it too easy for us to self diagnose by looking up symptoms online and then worrying ourselves sick over it. But, I also think people are living longer and longer lives and that's why some of these cancers are showing up. Also, a long time ago, someone may have gotten sick and died, but we didn't know what caused it, but the tests to detect all kinds of cancers are getting better.

You're absolutely right. We do have to live each day to the fullest so we have no r egrets! Carpe diem!

I would love a copy of that list.

Great thoughtful post!

Anonymous said...

I would like a copy of the list. Prayer is powerful. I will pray for her.

Paulette said...

Gayle, So sorry to hear this. I hope she's doing okay. My prayers are with her, as you.
Love, Paulette